A small detail I love about my adoptive father, William Henry Meyer, is that in 1976 he sat down and wrote his own autobiography. It wasn't intended to become a family history or to be passed down through the generations. It was simply an assignment during his Air Force career, but more than 50 years later, those pages have become a priceless glimpse into the man I knew as my father.
What makes it special to me is the simplicity of it. He wasn't trying to write history. He was simply telling his story—and in doing so, he left a small piece of himself for us to find years later. [Transcribed verbatim from his originally typed manuscript]
| Technical Sergeant, William Henry Meyer |
FROM: FLIGHT B (BOX 8)
DATE: JULY 10, 1976
SUBJECT: Autobiography of Sergeant Meyer
TO: Communicative Skills Division (SMSgt. Crowell)
1. Childhood and Early Education: I was born on January 22, 1937 at approximately 0100, on a large dairy farm near Poteet, Texas, where my father, Herbert Meyer, worked, as a dairy hand. I was the third child of Herbert and Ludi (Fergison) Meyer, I have a sister five years older than I, and a brother two years older. My mother, Ludi Meyer, died when I was one year old. The three of us children were passed around between four or five families and close friends of my father for two years. When I was three, we all went to stay with my aunt and uncle on their farm, just south of San Antonio, Texas. This is where my education started. My aunt and uncle were strict but fair. Their standards of living and morality have stayed with me throughout my life. Although we never went to church at that time, during those three years, my uncle read all the great stories of the Bible to us and explained what each story was trying to teach. This also had a great effect on my life, even though I've never again really studied this great Book, I still can remember and recall it's teachings.
2. Public School Years: When I was six, my father married Clara Schorsch, and through the years I acquired two more sisters, and two more brothers. During this time my father bought his own dairy farm. We children worked before and after school. We helped with milking the cows and other farm work. Throughout my school years I was a "D" student, because I never took an interest in reading or spelling or writing. Although I was mentally able to do better I only did the work necessary to complete school. I played football and basketball only in my early years of high school and quit because of long hours of work at home and because of being a poor reader, I needed the other time to "just make it" in the academic studies.
3. The Young Free Years: In December 1955, after graduating from high school, I joined the Air Force to get my military commitment out of the way. At that time the Air Force needed pilots and navigators. Not wanting to be in command of an aircraft, I took the navigators test, but after speaking with a number of people, withdrew my name because I didn't want to "give" the Air Force more than four years. I then became a radio operator.
4. The In Between Years: After three years as a radio operator in Germany, I got out of the Air Force and went back to Texas. Here I worked on dairy farms and ranches, and also met and married my wife Barbara (Crawford). Being married now, and older, I guess I started thinking of job satisfaction, security, travel, and (although I have taken very little advantage of it) education opportunities and re-joined the Air Force.
5. A Career Chosen: I went back to Keesler Air Force Base for school but this time to learn radio repair. After one year as a radio repairman, the Air Force expanded its Airborne Command Post capability and I started to be part of the new AFSC 3280A. (Airborne Command Post Communications Technician.) With this AFSC I've been stationed at most major commands headquarters bases: PACAF, SAC, USAFE, AND TAC. I logged more than 2,000 flying hours and seen much of the worlds people first hand.
6. Adult Education: During my Air Force career, education has been mostly job and/or upgrade training, and human relations. I did manage 6 college hours in American History while in Germany. I never got started in college courses again. I did not attend any Leadership School.
7. Goals: This is a difficult question. First of all let me say I like to help others to reach their set goals, and I would like to help change some aspects of the Air Force and life in the Air Force. That and be a good father to my two children and I'll retire happy.
WILLIAM H. MEYER, TSgt, USAF
| William Henry Meyer, back row, fourth in front of equipment, c. 1963-1964 |
| William Henry Meyer, in flight, date/place unknown |
Notes to clarify individuals and places written about:
1. Mother's name: Loudie Ellen Ferguson (1915-1938)
2. Sister: Kathryn Maxine Meyer (1932-2018)
3. Brother: Burton Felix Meyer (living)
4. Aunt and Uncle: Selma Bertha (Meyer) Curry (1898-1982) and William Ransome "Bill" Curry (1896-1975); Selma the adoptive sister of Herbert
5. Sisters: Doris Elaine Meyer (living) and Annabelle Meyer (living)
6. Brothers: Victor Herbert Meyer (1948-2008) and Lee Roy Meyer (1950-2007)
**Third child arrived after retirement!!
7. PACAF (Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam); SAC (Offutt AFB-Nebraska); USAFE (RAF-Lakenheath & RAF-Mildenhall United Kingdom); TAC (Langley AFB-Virginia)
__________________________________
All primary source information referenced was obtained from a variety of published and archival materials, including books, historic newspapers, U.S. census records, vital records, probate files, and land documents. These sources were accessed through leading genealogical platforms such as Newspapers.com, Ancestry, FamilySearch, Find a Grave, as well as through local, state & federal archival repositories, libraries and private collections. Interpretive narrative may also include Carol Anna Meyer Brooks' personal experiences or family stories shared with her throughout her lifetime.
©2024-2026 Unfolding the Story Genealogy. All Rights Reserved.
No comments:
Post a Comment